No casting decisions for the next season ofÂ Saturday Night LiveÂ have been officially announced yet, butÂ Nasim PedradÂ pretty much just took herself out of the running.
It’s not that she’d be leavingÂ on bad terms or anything, and this is kind of an expected thing anyway, since she plays one of the lead roles onÂ Mulaney,Â an upcoming FOX comedy created by formerÂ SNLÂ writerÂ John Mulaney. It’s just weird the way she came out with it, at an ATX Television Festival panel.
According to Buzzfeed, who had a writer present, Nasim said she didn’t think she’d be returning for the show’s fortieth season in the fall:
“I havenâ€™t heard any official word so far, but I love this show so much.Â I have an apartment in L.A. and, as far as I know, Iâ€™m in L.A. now.”
That’s such an odd way to announce it, right? If she was making the decision herself, I feel like she would’ve said, “Yup, I decided not to go back so I can focus onÂ Mulaney”.Â But the fact that she leaves it up in the air like that makes it sound like she’s leaving it up to the show to decide whether to invite her back. Like she’s assuming she’ll be removed from the cast, since she already had reduced air time this past season, but she’s half holding out hope that they’ll invite her back and half wishing that they’ll let her go.
Regardless, a weird way to make an announcement like this, especially after only five years on the show. Guess we’ll see how it plays out, and they better start looking now for someone who can playÂ Kim Kardashian! Or else hope thatÂ Kanye WestÂ makes good on his threat to keep her off reality TV now that they’re married.