I don’t know about you, but I’ve been waiting for Scandal to come back since the finale of the second season. I’m actually still gasping from the reveal of Oliva Pope‘s dad. And the return did not disappoint. Still trying to figure out how Kerry Washington did not take home that Emmy, but whatever, I’m not bitter or anything about it. I’m just glad Olivia Pope is back running D.C. and imagining what she would be doing in the case of the current government shutdown. But let’s be real, there would be no shutdown on Olivia’s watch. In the season three premiere, Olivia was obviously a little preoccupied thanks to her affair with President Fitz leaking, but that didn’t stop her from taking care of business.
1. When she stood up to her dad after he said her “disappearing” would be the best thing for her. Olivia Pope doesn’t run, or fly, away from a scandal, even when it’s hers. She’s got a classic case of daddy issues, but she doesn’t let that stop her from telling him to back the eff off. “What is happening, is that I am taking care of myself.” Run and tell that, Olivia. But she obviously gets her confidence and attitude from her dad, also referred to (by himself) as: “the hell and the hot water.”
2. When she flipped her head around and said: “I’m never out of options.” After being accused of being the president’s mistress, most people would be out of options. You’ve just had an affair with the country’s most powerful man and the press is eating you alive, so your only option is a life of shame and a 10-season run on a Bravo reality show. But not Olivia Pope, she’s got friends in high places, a never-ending supply of great trench coats and a team of Gladiators that don’t quit.
3. When she shutdown Mellie’s slut-shaming. Don’t get me wrong, I love Mellie and I don’t support affairs, but Mellie isn’t a sweet and innocent little lamb either. While most ladies who are stuck in a literal bunker with their married ex and his wife would just take the name calling, Olivia doesn’t have time for that. But also, why are they in a bunker? I know privacy and whatever, but this place looks like a torture chamber and he’s the president, so there had to be better options.
4. When she solved the President’s cheating scandal, even though she was the scandal. Leave it to Olivia Pope to plan out months of rallying in less than two minutes while holding back tears. Especially when Fitz’ plan was to tell the whole truth, which meant Olivia would continue to be the main focus of the press for all of those months. Where’s Olivia at when you accidentally drunk text an ex-boyfriend? She’d have it solved in less than 3 seconds and have Huck hack into his cell phone in less than a minute and it would be like it never happened.
5. When she takes on her new client. Of course, Olivia takes on new clients all the time. Is it usually the woman who just involuntarily took the blow for her cheating scandal? Nope. And is the only way for her to clear her client’s name to possibly come clean herself? Nope. Is Olivia doing it anyway? You know it.