Congratulations to Nina Davuluri, who was crowned Miss America 2014 this weekend! She’s the second consecutive winner from New York, taking the crown from Mallory Hagan, last year’s winner, who hailed from Brooklyn.
Nina is twenty-four years old, and as the first Indian-American winner in the pageant’s history, she’s unfortunately been the target of a great deal of irrational anger from people who prefer their pageant queens white and blond.
So…people are the worst. We get it. But instead of focusing on that, we thought we’d try to give you a more well-rounded picture of who Nina is as a person. You know, beyond all that really intelligent stuff people have been spewing on Twitter about her being a terrorist or working at 7-11. Really classy stuff.
Nina seems like an excellent person, and an excellent choice for the crown, so here are some things we’ve learned about her:
- Nina is the second Miss Syracuse to take the title, and the fifth Miss New York.
- Her Bollywood dance number was created by Nakul Dev Mahajan, who works with So You Think You Can Dance.
- Embarrassingly, Nina actually missed her cue for the talent portion, continuing to distractedly applaud when her name was announced.
- A few days before the pageant, Nina was accused of calling 2013′s winner Mallory ‘fat’, which she vehemently denied with the revelation that she had struggled with her weight and bulimia in the past, and lost sixty pounds to appear on Miss America.
- She’s not dumb. Nina graduated from The University of Michigan with a degree in Brain Behavior and Cognitive Science.
(Image: Michael Loccisano /Getty Images)