One of my most favoritest things about celebrities dating each other is that it means I get to watch them interact onscreen and revel in their covert glances and secret smiles as if I’m one of them. (Oh my god you guys, I just re-read that, and I’m a total creep.)
But it’s also a nice thing because it preserves the state of a relationship when it was in its glory days, before things inevitably go wrong. Because Hollywood relationships tend to end much more quickly than regular ones, it’s nice to have a portrait of better times, neatly presented in a two-hour-ish package, complete with flattering lighting, hilariously dated costumes, and ideally, an intriguing storyline.
So just to refresh your memory about the couples lost to time, here are 14 Celebrity Couples Who Acted Together Before Breaking Up. RIP love and dreams. I’ll miss you.
1. Amy Poehler and Will Arnett in Arrested Development and Blades Of Glory
At least we’ll all have that series of escalating dares.
2. David Arquette and Courtney Cox in Scream
I guess it turned out the calls really weren’t coming from inside the house.
3. Gwyneth Paltrow and Brad Pitt in Seven
“What’s in the bahhhhhhxxxx???”
4. Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito in Matilda
These two have actually been resolving things, I think, but it was pretty touch-and-go there for a while.
5. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in Gigli and Jersey Girl
LOOK AT THESE TITANS OF CINEMA. Viva la Bennifer, our hearts and dreams go with you.
6. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens in High School Musical
Oh right, we’re still pretending this was a thing.
7. Drew Barrymore and Justin Long in Going the Distance
Say what you will, but I really enjoyed that movie.
8. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut
Guys, remember when Tom Cruise was a sex symbol? Because that happened.
9. Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder in Vampire Diaries
This is what happens when you invite a vampire into your home. (Wait guys, does either of them play a vampire on that show?
10. Sienna Miller and Jude Law in Alfie
The last two were from the Vampire Diaries, and these two are from the Nanny Diaries! You get it??
11. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart in Twilight
Pretty sure that’s literally a picture of R-Pattz giving himself pinkeye. Oh but also these two broke up. If you believe they were ever truly dating in the first place.
12. Jim Carrey and Renee Zellweger in Me, Myself & Irene
Still in disbelief that these two dated. One with a frozen face, and one with a rubber one. I guess opposites really do attract.
13. Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillipe in Cruel Intentions
Thank god these two had a couple babies before they broke up, otherwise they’d be cruelly and intentionally (eh? eh?) depriving the world of some serious attractiveness.
14. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in The Notebook
(Photo: Dimitri Halkidis / WENN.com)
Only the reigning King and Queen of rom-coms. I’ll probably mourn this one for the rest of my life, but at least I have Allie and Noah.