One of my most favoritest things about celebrities dating each other is that it means I get to watch them interact onscreen and revel in their covert glances and secret smiles as if I’m one of them. (Oh my god you guys, I just re-read that, and I’m a total creep.)
But it’s also a nice thing because it preserves the state of a relationship when it was in its glory days, before things inevitably go wrong. Because Hollywood relationships tend to end much more quickly than regular ones, it’s nice to have a portrait of better times, neatly presented in a two-hour-ish package, complete with flattering lighting, hilariously dated costumes, and ideally, an intriguing storyline.
So just to refresh your memory about the couples lost to time, here are 14 Celebrity Couples Who Acted Together Before Breaking Up. RIP love and dreams. I’ll miss you.
1. Amy Poehler and Will Arnett in Arrested Development and Blades Of GloryÂ
At least we’ll all have that series of escalating dares.
2. David ArquetteÂ andÂ Courtney CoxÂ inÂ Scream
I guess it turned out the calls really weren’t coming from inside the house.
3. Gwyneth PaltrowÂ andÂ Brad PittÂ inÂ Seven
“What’s in the bahhhhhhxxxx???”
4. Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito in Matilda
These two have actually been resolving things, I think, but it was pretty touch-and-go there for a while.
5. Ben AffleckÂ andÂ Jennifer LopezÂ inÂ GigliÂ andÂ Jersey Girl
LOOK AT THESE TITANS OF CINEMA. Viva la Bennifer, our hearts and dreams go with you.
6. Zac EfronÂ andÂ Vanessa HudgensÂ inÂ High School Musical
Oh right, we’re still pretending this was a thing.
7. Drew BarrymoreÂ andÂ Justin LongÂ inÂ Going the Distance
Say what you will, but I really enjoyed that movie.
8. Nicole KidmanÂ andÂ Tom CruiseÂ in Eyes Wide Shut
Guys, remember when Tom Cruise was a sex symbol? Because that happened.
9. Nina DobrevÂ andÂ Ian SomerhalderÂ inÂ Vampire Diaries
This is what happens when you invite a vampire into your home. (Wait guys, does either of them play a vampire on that show?
10. Sienna MillerÂ andÂ Jude LawÂ inÂ Alfie
The last two were from the Vampire Diaries, and these two are from the Nanny Diaries! You get it??
11. Robert PattinsonÂ andÂ Kristen StewartÂ inÂ Twilight
Pretty sure that’s literally a picture of R-Pattz giving himself pinkeye. Oh but also these two broke up. If you believe they were ever truly dating in the first place.
12. Jim CarreyÂ andÂ Renee ZellwegerÂ inÂ Me, Myself & Irene
Still in disbelief that these two dated. One with a frozen face, and one with a rubber one. I guess opposites really do attract.
13. Reese WitherspoonÂ andÂ Ryan PhillipeÂ inÂ Cruel Intentions
Thank god these two had a couple babies before they broke up, otherwise they’d be cruelly and intentionally (eh? eh?) depriving the world of some serious attractiveness.
14. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in The Notebook
(Photo: Dimitri Halkidis / WENN.com)
Only the reigning King and Queen of rom-coms. I’ll probably mourn this one for the rest of my life, but at least I have Allie and Noah.