I know what you’re thinking: do we really need another song with people yelling “hey” in the background? But the latest band to get on the “hey” bandwagon seems to be going places, so it’s about time you got to know them. The Lumineers are a band based in Denver, Colorado (Westerners represent!), and even if you don’t know the name you’ve almost definitely heard their hit single “Ho Hey.” It was featured in one of the trailers for Silver Linings Playbook, in an ad for Bing, and in episodes of The Vampire Diaries, Bones, and Hart of Dixie.
Plus, the band will be performing on Saturday Night Live this week, and the music acts featured on SNL tend to make it big. So, here are ten things you should know about The Lumineers, along with their video for “Ho Hey.”
1. They’ve been nominated for two Grammys. They’re up for Best New Artist and Best Americana Album.
2. They’re not from Denver originally. Singer/guitarist Wesley Schultz and drummer Jeremiah Fraites grew up near New York City, and tried to make their way in the city’s music scene for a while. Frustrated, they packed up and moved to Denver, where they met Neyla Pekarek, who plays cello, mandolin, and piano.
3. “Ho Hey” is a double platinum single. That means that it’s sold over 2 million copies. It also peaked at number 3 on the Billboard charts.
4. Every single show they have played in 2012 has sold out. They went from playing 200 capacity venues to selling out 1,500 capacity ones, and in 2013 will play theaters almost four times that size.
5. They will be touring extensively in the U.S. and overseas in 2013… but most of the dates are already sold out.
6. They once played in a parking lot for fans who got turned away from a show. When one of their gigs… you guessed it, sold out, they didn’t want anyone to miss out on the music and actually played in a parking lot.
7.The PS22 chorus covered “Ho Hey.”
8. They’ve already performed on Conan and Letterman.
9. They didn’t make up their name. Apparently, it was given to them. They were playing a gig in Jersey City and the announcer just introduced them that way. “Lumineers” also happens to be a brand of dental veneers, so there’s that.
10. They once had all their instruments stolen. While on tour, someone broke into their van and took all the instruments. They kept going, borrowing instruments in every city.
(Image: The Lumineers)