At 15,Â Chloe MoretzÂ is one of the youngest names on our 25 Crushable Girls Under 25Â list, but to not include her would be ridiculous. In the last three years alone, she’s gone from memorable bit parts in movies like (500) Days of SummerÂ to helming her own action, horror, and comedy moviesâ€”sometimes all three in the same role. We’re always delighted to see her in a new role, and we love following her Twitter because she posts cute twitpics from behind the scenes of her new movies or just hanging out with her friends.
Let’s reiterate that she hasn’t even celebrated her sweet 16, yet she’s leagues more mature and composed than many of her peers, and definitely us. We prefer not to remember 15, since it involves braces and frizzy hair and unrequited crushes. It’s just an awkward age! You’re starting high school but at the bottom of the barrel; you’re not allowed to date or drive; and college seems way too far off. To look at Chloe, who’s so composed and funny yet also not a mean girl, gives us hope but also makes us wish we’d known her secret a decade ago.
“My mom has always said that if I get a big head, she’ll take me out of this business as quickly as I got into it,” Chloe has said. And yet, it’s undeniable that she leads a charmed life. Let’s look at the 15 ways that her life, though not tabloid fodder or ringing any child-star alarm bells, is still a fantasy compared to our adolescences.
1. She often goes by her full name — ChloĂ« Grace MoretzÂ – without it sounding pretentious.
2. When she was only thirteen, her parents let her swear in Kick-Ass. We’ll never forget the shock and delight of seeing her, as pint-sized masked hero Hit-Girl, snarl at a bunch of baddies, “OK you cunts, let’s see what you can do now.”
But once parent groups started obsessing over how “wrong” it was to have her do the scene, she calmly defended herself in interviews, saying, “It’s a roleâ€”it’s not meant to be taken as real-life. I was raised to think cursing makes you look unintelligent. As Chloe, I can honestly say I’ve never uttered a syllable of a curse word, not even behind closed doors.”
3. She’s scary as fuck. You totally buy her as a bloodthirsty vampire or a rampaging prepubescent fighter because she sells that rage boiling inside her tiny figure. I don’t care that all the CarrieÂ promotion plays up how young and tortured she is, when I saw this shot my knees buckled:
4. But she’s also a fashion muse! Earlier this year she was named the latest brand ambassador for Aeropostale, after also being called the Face of the Future by MaxMara. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her graduate to Chanel in just a few years.
5. She doesn’t look awkward when making silly faces, like in this photo shoot for FlauntÂ magazine.
6. People at New York Comic-Con dress up like herÂ instead of the other way around. There was at least one Hit-Girl at the CarrieÂ panel, though sadly I haven’t found any photos of Chloe posing with her alter egos.
7.Â Drew BarrymoreÂ teases her about kissing boys. The former child star — who successfully navigated her way out of oblivion — chatted with Chloe on the phone for InterviewÂ magazine last year, and laughed about how she made Chloe kiss a boy on a roof. To which Chloe responded, “Shut up!” in that way you know was partly embarrassed, partly you’re-friends-with-a-Hollywood-star-so-getting-teased-is-no-big-deal.
8. She gets bulled only on-camera, not in real life. Her films Let Me In, Carrie,Â and Kick-Ass 2Â all have her at the center of bullying plotlines, but as far as we can tell from interviews, Chloe hasn’t been the victim of cruel peers. In fact, she uses her starpower to support campaigns like Stomp Out Bullying.
9. She actually isÂ friends with Jennifer Lawrence. Whereas the rest of us only dream of being buddies with Katniss, Chloe worked with her on The Poker HouseÂ back in 2008. Since neither was famous back then, we learned about this only when Chloe shared an awkwardly adorable photo from the set on her Instagram:
10.Â Let’s not even go into how much she makes from her movies. Suffice to say, she’s neither getting an allowance nor toiling away in a dead-end summer job to get spending money.
11. She’s gotten to work with Aaron Johnson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Johnny Depp, and more talented stars. She’s said that she has a crush on Ryan Gosling; unlike every other teen who feels the same way, she’ll probably share the screen with him one of these days.
12. Over 330,000 people care about what she has to say.
13. Magazines like GlamourÂ draw inspiration from her red-carpet looks for their beauty tips.
14. While the rest of us were awkwardly fumbling in back seats with boys, Chloe gets to explore her sexuality on-screen in movies like HickÂ and really own it.
15. Unlike kids wanting their buddies to come distract them from their jobs, Chloe doesn’t let her friends visit her on-set or come to premieres. “It’s a different head zone,” she told InStyleÂ magazine. “When I’m on set, I’m working. When I’m just with my friends, I can just hang out, do normal stuff and generally be a complete idiot.”
OK, maybe that last point rang true with us. Check out the rest of the 25 Crushable Girls Under 25!
GIFs viaÂ roleplay-n-stuffÂ on Tumblr unless otherwise stated