Someday when they defrost Walt DisneyÂ from his cryogenic sleep and he stumbles into the future and learns every which way people have appropriated Disney movies and songs… well, he’ll probably shit himself and climb back into the frozen chamber whimpering in terror. But we’reÂ having a ton of fun with every weird, unexpected, amazing iteration of Disney that the brilliant minds on the internet create.
Like the Walt Diznizzle MixtapeÂ from mash-up artist ARKHAM.p77! It’s quite the undertakingâ€”instead of just noodling with one song, Arkham gives us 77 minutes of classic Disney songs improved (some might say) with hip-hop and rap. I gotta warn you, when Boing Boing says “classic” songs, they aren’t talking about “I’ll Make A Man Out of You” or even “Part of Your World.” These are songs from the older movies, some that we were alive for and some we weren’t.
Now, with the mixtape coming in at over an hour, you don’t have time to listen to all of it in one sitting. That’s why we put it on while writing posts and picked out our favorite tracks.
04. “Can You Feel the Skinnyman”:Â Thank God they sampledÂ ”Can You Feel the Love Tonight” from The Lion King, because it’s so quintessentially Disney, and Elton John‘s soaring vocals surprisingly fit with his fellow Brit, rapper Skinnyman.
11. “Hell Diggity”: What an odd choice! We all remember the supremely creepy “Hellfire” from The Hunchback of Notre DameÂ as one of Disney’s darker songs, with priest Frollo singing of his lust for Esmeralda. And yet, it’s clear that what he’s trying to say is “I like the way you work it…”
15. “Some Day My Pimp Will Come”: Perhaps the best illustration of sweet, innocent Disney (in Snow White’s crooning for her prince) with raunchy rap.
17. “Beast Mob”: This might be my favorite from the group, even though I would never have thought to set Gaston’s bellowing mob song from Beauty and the BeastÂ to a faster beat.
22. “Circle of War”/”I Come to Life”:Â Yep, it works really well to bookend the mixtape with The Lion King.
Tastes vary, of course, so feel free to share which tracks you preferred in the comments!