Do you have a favorite kindly older gentleman yet? Because if you don’t, I highly recommend Tim Gunn. It’s his birthday today, and the Project Runway personality has officially been making it work for 59 years. We already know that he’s an excellent mentor, an out and proud gay man, and can rock the shit out of a pinstripe suit, but there’s a lot more to him. Like for example, did you know he’s been single since a relationship ended abruptly in the late 1980s? What are you waiting on, fabulous men of Manhattan? If I were a gay man, I’d be on this guy in a second, just so I could wake up in the morning to the sultry sounds of ‘Carry on’ and ‘Make it work’, his Project Runway catch-phrases. In Tim’s his honor, here are eight birthday facts about this hyper-articulate eligible bachelor:
- He was a champion swimmer in high school. Watch your back, Ryan Lochte.
- It’s his sister’s birthday today as well! And no, they’re not twins. She’s three years younger. His parents apparently just got especially frisky every year right around…(fast math)…Halloween. Ha! Well I guess we know where he gets his love of costumes!
- April 27, 2007 has been designated ‘Timothy M. Gunn Day’ in Palm Desert, California.
- …no one knows what the ‘M’ stands for.
- His dad was an FBI agent! Instant middle-school street cred.
- He has a BFA in Sculpture.
- For the ‘It Gets Better’ campaign, he bravely shared that he had struggled with depression as a young man, and at age 17 had attempted suicide by swallowing over 100 pills.
- He’s guest-starred as himself on Ugly Betty, How I Met Your Mother, Drop Dead Diva, and Gossip Girl.
I guess he’s actually a pretty mysterious gentleman, if you really think about it, but I bet you if I can guess his middle name, he’ll consent to be my life partner/fashion mentor/kindly male relative. Marvin…or…Matildo? Magician? Michigan? Oh man, I guess I have my work cut out for me.