Undoubtedly, it was dangerously thin, catchphrase-throwing Rachel Zoe who made Hollywood stylists celebrities in their own right. But we’ve become so used to “bananas,” etc., and tracking her pregnancy that we forget that some stylists aren’t gunning for a Bravo reality show.
Take Kate Young. Last year’s runner-up behind Rachel Zoe, she now holds the coveted #1 spot on this year’s The Hollywood Reporter’s 25 Most Powerful Stylists in Hollywood list. (And Zoe didn’t even make it!)
1. She paid her dues as an assistant to Vogue editor Anna Wintour, but unlike The Devil Wears Prada author Lauren Weisberger, Kate didn’t parlay her experiences into a book and movie.
2. She got her signature platinum hair because of a hair emergency. About a decade ago, a friend convinced her to do a Mohawk-bob, but it looked awful. Kate started taking Viviscal to make her hair grow faster, and also decided to dye her hair from blond to white. She says she loves it — “it’s like having back-lighting all the time” — but that it requires a ton of upkeep. “When I have roots, people uptown think I’m dirty,” she told New York Magazine back in 2005. “They’re not so nice to me in shops and restaurants, because I look Courtney Love–ish.”
3. Her favorite celebrity to work with, she told Refinery29, is Natalie Portman, “because we get each other and really respect the other’s opinion. She also has a great figure and is really beautiful, which makes it easy! ” Kate was responsible for making Natalie look chic while heavily pregnant during awards season, during which she won the Golden Globe and the Oscar for Best Actress in Black Swan.
Her other clients include 2012 Best Actress nominee Michelle Williams and Jennifer Connelly, who Kate started working with after she met her on a photo shoot years ago.
4. Her favorite city to shop in is Tokyo, and she counts acupuncture among her luxuries.
5. Kate was recently named editor-in-chief of Macy’s INC collection, a job that’s made her more of a public figure. She admitted that it was fun in some ways: “Look, I’m not going to pretend that I’m not ambitious. I’m really, really ambitious. I work really hard because I really want to be the best at what I do. And I think that part of [a stylist's] job has become about finding other ways.”
However, she emphasized, “I don’t want a reality show. I’m not an actress and I don’t think I have the kind of personality that could carry a show, [although] I really admire the people who can.”