Last week, The CW announced that it had found its lead for The Carrie Diaries in AnnaSophia Robb. Now another piece of casting has gone out, for almost as important a role: Carrie’s adolescent Mr. Big, Sebastian Kydd.
Austin Butler will play the series’ main love interest, a bad boy who seems smart and caring but (spoiler for the book) cheats on Carrie. In the past six months, Austin has been popping up more and more on television: He starred in the Lifetime movie The Bling Ring, and he now has a steady gig on ABC Family’s Switched at Birth. Not to mention, he’s dating former Disney star Vanessa Hudgens. (That’s them celebrating New Year’s.) So, what should you know about this up-and-coming actor who looks like Chord Overstreet?
1. One of his earliest roles is doing “background work” (i.e., being an extra) for the show Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide… for 41 episodes. That’s dedication!
2. In addition to dating Vanessa, he’s also played the love interest for most of the recent Disney and Nickelodeon female stars: Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place), Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101), Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly), and Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana). Here he is all cute and gangly:
3. Because his career started to pick up around the age of 16, Austin got his GED for high school but has not yet been through college. He hopes to apply and enroll someday.
4. He was the ring bearer at Alexa Vega‘s wedding to producer Sean Covel in 2010. He and Alexa became friends after he played a recurring role on her show Ruby & the Rockits.
5. Austin sounds like he doesn’t take himself too seriously. In interviews he’s laughed about the pranks that he and his Ruby & the Rockits co-stars played on each other while filming, as well as his most embarrassing moment on Zoey 101 when he jumped on a bed on-set and it collapsed.