We know that Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard‘s unconventional horror movie The Cabin in the Woods will challenge the cliches of scary flicks, but even with that in mind, there’s so much to the first official trailer that I can’t begin to contemplate. I’ve watched it twice already, and here are my knee-jerk reactions and the questions I can’t wait to be answered on April 13, 2012.
1. What will the soundtrack be like? The first minute of the trailer is a parody of teen roadtrip movies, and if I heard correctly, that was “Young Blood” by The Naked and the Famous… a song last heard in Disney’s Prom. It would be really cool if Cabin‘s soundtrack incorporated what I’m sure will be its own original creepy score as well as these aural red herrings.
2. Are the main characters test subjects of some sort? The image that sticks in my mind the most is the hawk circling through a canyon, only to be incinerated upon hitting some sort of electrical fence. Cut to mysterious people who seem to be operating this hexagonal grid, and my conspiracy senses are tingling. Is there some shadowy organization that regularly conducts experiments at this cabin? Getting a very Truman’s Show kind of vibe.
3. How horrifying will the sex be? A bunch of nubile young men and women… You know that more than one of them will be bumping uglies, especially since Jesse Williams found that two-way mirror to Kristen Connolly‘s bedroom. But considering that this is Joss Whedon, the sex has to lead to something apocalyptic. Maybe it triggers whatever monster comes after them. Which leads us to…
4. What is that coming out of the lake? The Friday the 13th movies taught us to fear humanoid creatures emerging from the water, but I wonder if that could be an homage to an earlier horror movie—The Creature from the Black Lagoon. After all, IMDb mentions a “Merman” character alongside horror greats like Nosferatu.
5. What are they getting punished for? Kristen Connolly’s character says, “You’re missing the point. They want to see us punished.” So now we have a reasonable motive, but no idea what crimes these kids are being held for. Maybe they’ve become too complacent with horror movies.
Sorry! This poll is now closed.