So it’s Friday afternoon, you’ve got Halloween parties tonight and/or tomorrow, and absolutely no idea for your costume. Never fear—we’ve got you covered even if you’re reading this from home, school, or on your phone as you walk down the street. Here are some ideas of simple, last-minute supplies that will make passable costumes for friends’ parties. (As long as you don’t mind a few puns…)
1. Live with your boyfriend? Have a brother or a male roommate? Then just steal a geeky T-shirt from his drawer, pair it with jeans, and bam—you’re a character from The IT Crowd or The Big Bang Theory. As io9 points out, that’s really all you need for a no-fuss Halloween costume.
2. Alternatively, all you need is a printer, because we’ve got just the mask for you!
3. A cool thing about being in college (or even high school, if you have new friends) is that people don’t necessarily know everything about you. For instance, which sport you did when you were younger. As long as you still have any of that gear — soccer ball, tennis racquet — you can pass as an athlete. Bonus points if you actually resemble Maria Sharapova.
1. Take a trip into your college or university’s bookstore. Since this place is a haven for freshmen and parents looking to snatch up as many school-branded products as possible, it’s well-stocked. Grab T-shirts, banners, and hats related to all of the hobbies and clubs you aren’t a part of; loaded down with more college paraphernalia than you ever thought you’d wear in one place, you’ll be The Overzealous Undergrad. (At NYU, we lucked out with the snarky NYU Football: Undefeated Since 1831 T-shirt.) Plus, since it’s from your school, it’s still a useful investment in case you ever actually go to a men’s volleyball game or fencing match.
2. I can’t take credit for this one from Endless Simmer: Hit up the dining hall or whatever grocery shop is on-campus and buy a bunch of single-serving cereal boxes. After you (and the lucky friends you’ve invited) eat all the cereal, tape the boxes to your body and stick plastic knives into each one. Get it? Cereal killer.
Out and About
1. Call up a girlfriend, bundle up in scarves and coats, grab coffees, and start talking a mile a minute about pop culture—obscure pop culture. You’re the Gilmore Girls, of course.
2. Duck into a toy store and buy a package of those little green army men like the ones you see in Toy Story, plus some sturdy duct tape. This costume you don’t want to apply until you’re en route to your party, just to make sure everything stays in place. Once everything’s taped down — and bear in mind I stole this from a woman I heard talking about it in the elevator the other day — you’re a guy magnet!