Comedian Whitney Cummings is most definitely the woman of the hour. Her eponymous half-hour comedy Whitney premieres tonight on NBC, just two days after the first ep of the show she co-created with Michael Patrick King, 2 Broke Girls. So, did this dark-haired funnylady come from nowhere, or what? Here are five things to know about Whitney:
1. Born in Washington, D.C., Whitney worked as a model in middle and high school. She used the money she earned to put herself through college — first at USC and then at UPENN, where she majored in communications and film.
2. Not long after Whitney began doing stand-up, she was named one of Variety’s Top Ten Comics to Watch in 200. She was just 24 at the time.
3. She was on MTV’s Punk’d! She played one of the mischievous punk’rs on the show’s second season.
4. Whitney’s known for her off-color work on Comedy Central’s roasts. She garnered a ton of attention for the fairly shocking jokes she told at the roast of David Hasselhoff last year.
5. She recorded a comedy album called Emotional Ninja. Released in 2009, the record has 33 short tracks, all around two minutes. Emotional Ninja garnered praise from critics and industry folk alike, and I’m sure we can expect more stuff like this from Whitney in the future.