Last night, Taylor Armstrong made her first TV appearance since her husband Russell Armstrong committed suicide in mid-August: An interview with Entertainment Tonight‘s Nancy O’Dell where she details Russell’s abuse and how she coped with his death. ET wisely split up the interview into two segments, separating Russell’s hanging from the injuries he inflicted on his wife. Here are the quotes from part 1 that made us shudder.
1. “The first time he ever really harmed me physically, I was pregnant with Kennedy and he grabbed me by the throat and held me up against the wall… He grabbed me by the neck and shoved me up against the wall and he said, ‘If you ever make my children a pizza without a vegetable again, I’ll kill you.’”
2. “These were not beatings that would go on for hours; there are certainly women out there who experience that… Russell was very careful in how he would do things because he didn’t want to leave a lot of physical signs. If we were leaving a place and he was angry, he would grab me by the hair on one side of my head and bang my head on the side of the car. Then sometimes when he was driving, he’d just reach over and slam my head against the inside window.”
3. “He had mentioned he was afraid he might kill me. I think he meant it almost in an accidental way, that he would get so angry at some time that he would hit me and I would hit something, or he would grab me by the neck and something would go wrong.”
4. Describing the last time Russell hit her, damaging her corneal flap because she’d just had Lasik eye surgery: “I could feel my eyeball shift, and it wasn’t in the right place anymore.”
5. “I told [the doctor] that Kennedy had kicked me. Because Russell told me to say that, and because he came to the appointment with me and sat in the chair the whole time… I didn’t want him to go to jail, so I guess that was all right with me.”