It seems pretty awesome to be a celebrity. You get free designer clothes, travel all over the world, and get to kiss other celebrities at your job. But if there’s anything I’ve learned from writing about stars, it’s that fame isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be.
- If I gain or lose a couple of pounds, nobody notices but me.
- If I gain or lose a couple of pounds, nobody thinks I’m pregnant.
- I can wear holey jeans and a sweatshirt and no makeup to walk down to the bodega and get a sandwich, and there is no photographic evidence that this ever happened.
- My finances are my business and my business alone.
- If I wear the same outfit as someone else I know, it will be embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as being in a “style war” or a “vote on who wore it better” poll.
- Breaking up with somebody is painful enough without having to read about it the next day.
- If I have dinner with a friend who happens to be a dude, nobody assumes we’re sleeping together. And they also don’t use the word “canoodling.”
- If you’re never “in,” you can never be “out.”