We’re in a bit of Disney princess overload at this point: They’ve been reimagined as the villains of their stories, Sith Lords, obese women, and superheroes — the last one at least twice, with these Sailor Moon lookalikes the latest offering. Are we ever going to stop drawing Ariel, Jasmine, Belle, and the others for laughs?
Personally, I don’t want there to be an end to silly Disney princesses, since each rendition is incredibly creative. The fact that the princesses are universally well-known helps the joke: Tweak some main stuff but keep specific details and a general sense of the original costume, and you’re one clever artist. My question is, what reimagining hasn’t been done yet?
- Video game characters: I can easily see the ladies recast as Zelda, Peach, and even Chell from Portal.
- Actual Sailor Scouts: The way that I usually can tell the Scouts apart is by their hair; there’s enough variety in here that you could play with that.
- The girls in Rebecca Black’s “Friday” video: You know that Aurora, with her love for pink, would be the friend on the right.
- Angry Birds: Everyone else is doing it!
- Hunger Games tributes: For this, I’d say assign a district to each princess — for example, Ariel is clearly the fishing capital, District 4 — and then throw them in the Arena to fight to the death.
- Vampires, werewolves, and angels: Speaking of competition, here’s the supernatural trifecta.
- LOLcats: Yes, as actual cats. With funny captions, of course.
Yep, the joke’s still got some life left in it.