He’s been hovering in our periphery for a while, and now Diego Boneta is slated to star in the blockbuster Rock of Ages. Diego just snagged the lead role in the Broadway show-to-movie adaptation, and will play a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed musician hopeful alongside Tom Cruise and Russell Brand. So what’s this dreamboat’s deal? Here are five things you need to know about Diego:
1. Diego was born in Mexico City. He’s 20 years old, which means he was born in 1990, which means we will spend the rest of the day grumbling about how we feel old.
2. He got his start on the Mexican soap opera Rebelde. He’s also appeared in the American shows 90210 and Pretty Little Liars. Plus, he starred in a Miranda Cosgrove video, 2008′s “About You Now.”
3. He’s a Latin American pop star! His first album, from 2005, was released in Mexico, Chile and Brazil, and will come out in the U.S. later this month. His second album came out in 2008, and it includes a song written by Kara DioGuardi.
4. He’s rumored to be dating Julianne Hough, with whom he’ll co-star in Rock of Ages. Julianne’s 22, two years older than Diego.
5. His high singing voice was part of the reason Diego landed Rock of Ages. Director Adam Shankman said about Diego’s audition:
“It was grueling and endless, basically. I put Julianne through it, too, to be perfectly honest, but with Diego, he came back to audition a second time for the casting director and he came back and auditioned for me. And when he came back and auditioned for me again, he had to do a different scene each time and he had to sing those songs which are so hard and so high! People in that era — in 1987 — sang like freaks of nature. All the music is written so high, so it was also difficult to find somebody who could find all the music.”