When I read that a new book with 200 blank pages had outsold both Harry Potter and The Da Vinci Code on Amazon’s sales charts, I figured that this was some ingenious stunt, that the book must have a great joke attached to make people actually buy it.
Not quite. Comedian Sheridan Simove‘s book, titled What Every Man Thinks About Apart From Sex, is a one-note joke. In fact, you’ve probably already figured out the punchline. Yes, it’s that the book is empty. Because men don’t think about anything but sex! Now, this would provoke a giggle when browsing through in the bookstore, but I can’t imagine why someone would actually pay $10 for it. (FYI, the book is currently out of stock on Amazon.)
It turns out that the book skyrocketed up the bestsellers list after a college student bought it for her friend as a gag gift, and the friend used it to take notes in class. We’ve come up with some other uses for Simove’s masterpiece…
- Writing Justin Bieber fanfiction.
- Making impromptu comics for strangers on the train — just scribble, rip, and hand out.
- You can feed a fire, Rent-style, when your heat goes out.
- Break-up gift! Just change the cover to Things I Love About You.
- Place the cover over a more objectionable book, like Twilight.
- Bore a hole into the pages — you’re not damaging anything — and hide your meds, condoms, gum, etc.
- Turn it into a book clutch! Though other women may give you dirty looks…