There are a couple high-school experiences everyone remembers. Their first kiss. Prom (or not going to it). The time they blew up a car in a ditch…no wait, that only happened on Skins. But we all remember reading Stephen Chbosky‘s coming-of-age novel The Perks Of Being A Wallflower in high school and thinking “This is totally my life.” And while there is an argument to be made against turning every piece of nostalgia into a film, we totally think that the upcoming movie adaptation of this quintessentially pre-emo book will be beloved by hipsters as much as the source material was.
1. Good soundtrack: Perks of Being a Wallflower had multiple “mix tapes” scattered throughout that included our introduction to the Smith’s song “Sing me to sleep.” The movie won’t even need to create it’s own music…just go by the guidelines set forth by the novel.
2. Chbosky Doing The Adaptation: It’s hard to screw up the original book when the author is the one turning it into a screenplay.
3. Summit Entertainment Knows A Thing Or Two About Producing Teen Films: These are the same guys who did Twilight, remember, which was also a first-person narrative told in a diary-like format. Just like perks!
4. We Believe In Emma Watson: Post-Hermione, we’re expecting to see some real talent from the actress in the upcoming year, and as the ephemeral Sam, Watson is already creating huge buzz.
5. America Needs A Good Cry: After Toy Story 3 and Where The Wild Things Are were forced to take on the nation’s need to cry like a little baby while watching children’s stories, maybe this will be the year we finally start sniffling the dark tears of adolescent pain?