Calling all beautiful little fools: Baz Luhrmann‘s prepping to begin directing his film adaptation of The Great Gatsby. He’s apparently set on Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby and Tobey Maguire as Nick Calloway — but what about Gatsby’s love, Miss Daisy Buchanan? Apparently, Baz is having a harder time finding the right woman. Rebecca Hall played the role at a reading, but the director has some other actresses in mind as well.
Reportedly, he’s considering Keira Knightley, Amanda Seyfried, Blake Lively, Abbie Cornish, Michelle Williams, Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman. Amanda gets our vote for the gal we can best see sinking her teeth into the iconic role, but since absolutely nobody asked us, here’s a list of five more actresses we’d like to see Baz consider for the part:
• Leighton Meester: Forget Blake, Leighton’s the actress with the right kind of chops to play the charming yet vapid and emotionally stilted Daisy. It’d be like Blair Waldorf part deux.
• Carey Mulligan: It would be interesting to see Carey take on a role that’s less grounded than the smart girls she normally plays. We think she’s make a darling Daisy.
• Brie Larson: We think Brie is a terrific actress and we’d love to see her get some bigger roles. Luhrmann, are you listening?
• Kate Bosworth: Can’t you just see Kate’s face lighting up the Gatsby one-sheet? Based on looks alone, she should be in the running.
• Linsday Lohan: Seriously. We’re not kidding. We’ve always been huge fans of Lindsay as an actress and we’d love to see her get another big break. Once she’s out of rehab, of course.