Former White House Communications director Nicole Wallace, who previously worked for the Bush/Cheney campaign in ’04, has written a book. Even though Eighteen Acres:A Novel is a work of fiction (it says novel, see?), from the pieces we’ve read* Nicole’s protagonist Melanie is much like Nicole herself: she works at the White House, is a woman in a workplace full of men, and has an “insider view” to the politics of the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. She also really, really likes to talk about her accessories. We’ve picked several passages of the book, and compared them to portions of Lauren Weisberger‘s The Devil Wears Prada, a comparable parable about working for an Anna Wintour stand-in at a large magazine. Try to guess which is which!
1. ____ stepped out of the SUV, holding her Dior bag protectively under her suit jacket so the fresh snow wouldn’t touch the leather.
2. A quick stop in the Closet turned up a brand-new pair of knee-high maroon-colored Jimmy Choos that looked great with the leather skirt I grabbed, tossing the suede pants in the “Couture Cleaning” pile.
3. You are in desperate need of Chanel.
4. She pushed the tissue paper aside and gazed adoringly at the Dior bag she had splurged on for her thirty-seventh
birthday. … The elegance of the two-thousand-dollar Dior purse would be lost on most of ____ colleagues, but its perfection brought her a surprising amount of happiness.
5. As she pulled the purse out of its protective cloth and removed the paper stuffed inside, she suddenly felt worried that all of her electronics wouldn’t fit into it properly. She looked at the three BlackBerrys…
6. She stopped in front of the hallway mirror to attach her hard pin to the lapel of her black Armani pantsuit.
Devil Wears Prada: 2,3
Eighteen Acres: 1,4, 5, 6
Conclusion: Whether you’re releasing statements to the press about the war in Afghanistan or trying to juggle the stress of an assistant’s job at a high-stress magazine, you need to look your best, ladies!
*We have requested a copy of the novel and an interview with Nicole and are awaiting a response.