We were intrigued as soon as we heard ABC Family’s newest drama, Pretty Little Liars, will star four young women. A little younger version of Sex and the City minus the sex and the city but with an extra dose of mystery, murder and intrigue? Sign us up.
But as we get closer to the show’s June 8 premiere, we’re still completely confused by the show’s mysterious plot. Here’s what we know:
- It’s based on the best-selling book series written by Sara Shepard.
- The tagline is, “Never trust a pretty girl with an ugly secret.”
- ABC Family explains that the show will follow “four estranged best friends who are reunited one year after their best friend and queen bee of the group, Alison, goes missing – only to discover they’re receiving messages from an anonymous ‘A’ who knows all their secrets.”
- The four best friends are played by Privileged‘s Lucy Hale as Aria, Troian Bellisario as Spencer, Ashley Benson as Hanna and Shay Mitchell as Emily. Sasha Pieterse is Alison.
- From some of the show’s promos, we know that the girls think Alison is dead, and a body is found that the police believe is Alison, too. So is she sending text messages from beyond the grave?
- In a promo about Aria’s character, we can see she hooks up with their teacher, Mr. Fitz:
- And it looks like Emily might be hiding a secret about her sexuality:
- Hanna, whose mother pushes her to be pretty and popular, is getting arrested for something. Could it be connected to Alison’s disappearance/death?
- Spencer’s secret has something to do with a guy she hooked up with — who was possibly her sister’s boyfriend?
- And don’t forget: “Friends share secrets, it’s what keeps them close.”
We must confess we’re still more confused than ever — but we are looking forward to watching Pretty Little Liars when it premieres next month in order to get some answer to our questions. In the meantime, you tell us. Did you read the books? Do you think the series is holding true to the book’s story? Are you as confused as we are?