Ten new episodes of the ABC Family show 10 Things I Hate About You — which premieiered over the summer as the highest rated comedy for the network — debut tonight. And in preparation, we got to chat with stars Meaghan Jette Martin and Nicholas Braun (who play Bianca and Cameron on the show) about what we can expect from the upcoming eps of 10 Things, their favorite stories about working on the show and some of their hopes and dreams. Here are ten things you may not know about Meghan, Nick and 10 Things:
1. Meaghan was originally passed over for the role of Bianca, but later called back to audition for the same part, which she won with flying colors. “I auditioned for the show…and they told me I was not right for the part, which I now find quite ironic,” Meaghan said. “A few weeks later, I got a phone call that they wanted me to come in for another part. I guess they must have confused me for somebody else early on in the process because when they sent me the script, I was going in for the role of Bianca again!…I went back in and I was with Carter Covington, our creator, and Gil Junger, the director of the pilot and a lot of our episodes, and Gil said to me after my performance, ‘Where did you come from?’ And I said, ‘Las Vegas?’”
2. Meaghan is no longer a blonde. “I was just really bored and decided I didn’t want to be blonde anymore since I had some time off,” she reported.
3. Nick is in Austria filming a movie with Chuck Bass. “I’m in Austria shooting this really cool movie called Chalet Girl, and it’s this sweet little romantic comedy,” he explained. “I play a guy named Nigel who is sort of a goofy American boy, 21, sort of the type of guy that just wants to get laid, but has no tact. And it’s really fun…And Ed Westwick is starring in it and Bill Nighy.”
4. Meaghan says feuding sisters Bianca and Kat “do love each other” at the end of the day. Thankfully, Meaghan said her relationship with Lindsey Shaw, who plays Kat, “is a bit better than Kat and Bianca’s.” “It’s more loving than theirs’, I think,” she added.”
5. Tune in to the next ten episodes for lots of making out. Said Meaghan: “Who doesn’t want to watch the entire cast making out with different people for the better part of 22 minutes?” “There is a lot of kissing this season, yes,” Nick added. “My character, Cameron, has his first kiss this season…and it is super special.”
6. And there will be singing, too. Meaghan, who also sings in Camp Rock, will show off her vocal chops in a talent show episode. “Dana Davis, who plays Chastity, and I sing a duet together,” she revealed. “And I will sing in this season of 10 Things actually,” Nick added. “Which was really fun…But it was scary singing.”
7. Co-star Ethan Peck is “quite possibly the nicest guy ever” and text messages with perfect grammar. “One time I saw him walking down the street and I texted him, saying, ‘I just saw you walking down the street,’” Meaghan said. “And he texted back, ‘Oh, my goodness. May I come and say hello?’ That was his quote-unquote response. I was very excited by that. I told him that I think that was the greatest text message I’ve ever received.”
8. If Nick could change Cameron, he would make him “faux edgy.” “Like…where he just imitates [the show's bad boy] Patrick, like he starts wearing a beater and like riding a—he doesn’t ride a motorcycle, he rides like a Segway Scooter.”
9. Nick wants to guest star on Make It Or Break It as “a star gymnast.”
10. They try not to be intimidated by their show’s Shakespearean roots (it’s based on the movie of the same name, which is based on Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew). “You just have to kind of say to yourself well, how many things in the world are based off of Romeo and Juliet?” Meaghan said. “They always joke that there’s only seven original plots in all of Hollywood, so you can argue that everything is based on something. And I think, for sure it was intimidating, but all we had to do was tell ourselves that we weren’t trying to be any of the other products. We were just simply creating our own little version of it and breathing new life into it.”
And some bonus facts: Although Nick and Meghan were giddy with each other as we all chatted on the phone, Nick dismisses any hint at a relationship by claiming, “Meg’s like my sister.” Also, Nick enjoys freestyling and he beatboxes, too. Talented.