The Today show looked at 10 foods that are supposed to be “healthy” for us but really aren’t. While the label might send a certain message, all might not be as it seems. Here are the potential offenders:
- Multigrain bread – don’t be fooled by the name. Always look for something that says 100% whole grain or whole wheat. Enriched flour might be something you want to avoid.
- Reduced-fat peanut butter – regular peanut butter is possibly better because it’s heart healthy fats and the reduced-fat has more sugar.
- Energy bars – read the labels because some of those bars contain more than 400 calories. Making your own trail mix is a better alternative.
- Processed turkey – the sodium can be extremely high on deli meat.
- Bran muffins – watch the portions! Some of those giant muffins can be very high in calories!
For more tips, watch the video below!