Steve-O, whose birth name is Stephen Gilchrist Glover is a controversial and quirky performer. He’s got an unusual past, filled with ups and downs. He’ll be paired on season 8 of Dancing With the Stars with So You Think You Can Dance alum Lacey Schwimmer who is back for her second season. I love Lacey, but I think she’s got her work cut out for her this season. And if there’s anyone who will shake up the judges or cause shock in the audience, it’s going to be Steve-O.
Steve-O dropped out of college to attend the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Clown College and make videos of his stunts. Though he was not selected to join The Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus after graduating Clown College, he did work as a clown in a circus at the Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop flea market.
All the while he was working as a clown, he was sending videos of himself to Big Brother Magazine editor and future Jackass director Jeff Tremaine, which led to his involvement in the television series Jackass and its hit movie spin-offs, Jackass: The Movie, Jackass Number Two, and Jackass 2.5.
Steve-O has launched his own shoe company called Sneaux Shoes. Television commercials promoting the shoe company include such acts as Steve-O jumping into garbage, getting his foot bitten by an alligator, and drinking rotten milk. His slogan is “They’re darn good shoes.”
I am giving you the complete run-down of Steve-O’s checkered past, but since I don’t want to open myself for any slander complaints, I’m giving it to you as a quote from Wikipedia:
The Abyss Nightclub Incident
On July 31, 2002, Steve-O was arrested in Los Angeles on obscenity and assault charges for performing his now infamous stunt, The Butterfly (in which he staples his scrotum to his leg) at the Abyss, a nightclub in Houma, Louisiana, and for being a principal to a second-degree battery. He made a deal with Louisiana prosecutors placing him on supervised probation for one year, requiring him to make a charitable donation of $5,000 to a shelter for battered women and children, and forbidding him from ever performing in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana again.
Drug Smuggling Arrest in Sweden
On May 22, 2003 Steve-O was arrested and jailed while in Sweden due to a comment he made during an interview about smuggling drugs into the country, remarking that he swallowed a condom containing marijuana to get it past the authorities. Steve-O reached a plea bargain with the Swedish prosecutors and was released after paying a 45,000 Kronor (about $6,700 dollars) fine. As part of the plea bargain Steve-O admitted to possessing one ecstasy tablet and five grams of marijuana, although he claimed he had no knowledge of where the ecstasy came from.
Frequent Public Urination
On July 19, 2003, Steve-O was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct for urinating on potato chips in public during a Lollapalooza tour concert in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania. Steve-O claimed he was kicked off the tour by Lollapalooza producers because of the incident.
Steve-O was again seen urinating in public at the March 5, 2006 Key Club Party for the Oscars, urinating on the red carpet outside the club, and then stripping naked.
Internal LAPD Investigation
November 2, 2005 Steve-O was seen by reporters, and later officers in the Los Angeles Police Department, exiting a nightclub with a bag of marijuana. Though the officers confronted Steve-O, they made no attempt to arrest him. The incident was documented on video tape by the reporters and resulted in an administrative investigation within the LAPD to see if the officers at the scene were negligent.
Rock the Bells Controversy
Steve-O attended the “Rock The Bells” Hip-Hop Festival in San Bernardino, California in August 2006 which was headlined by the Wu-Tang Clan. The event was organized as a tribute to Clan member Ol’ Dirty Bastard. While on stage with the band, Steve-O exclaimed that he shared the same cell with O.D.B., albeit at different times. He proceeded to show his affection for O.D.B. by getting nude, tucking his penis between his legs and doing a back flip.
On March 9, 2008, Steve-O’s friends, including co-star Johnny Knoxville, physically removed him from his house and forced him to check into Thalians Mental Health Center due to ongoing drug abuse problems. Steve-O was placed on a 72 hour psychiatric hold which was later lengthened to 14 days due to an alleged suicide attempt. In a mass e-mail addressed to his friends, Steve-O expressed that he previously had thought that his drug abuse and bipolarity as a “good thing,” but that he now realizes that his drug abuse was hurting those he loved most.
Cocaine Possession and Rehab
On June 4, 2008, Steve-O pleaded guilty to possession to cocaine. He will avoid jail if he successfully completes his treatment program.
Noteworthy TV and radio appearances
Too Late with Adam Carolla
On September 26, 2005, a heavily intoxicated Steve-O appeared on Too Late with Adam Carolla. He had originally planned on getting drunk, having a policeman give him a Breathalyzer test, and then pulling a cloth out from under a table of food. Unfortunately, the plan fell through at the last second as Steve-O had already consumed a large amount of alcohol. On the show Steve-O yelled obscenities, attempted to tackle Adam Carolla, broke a glass table with his foot, inadvertently cutting his leg, and was taken away by security at the end of the segment.
Despite the craziness, on October 17, 2005, Steve-O appeared again on Too Late with Adam Carolla. His second appearance was no less nutty, with Steve-O lighting a table on fire, breaking the replacement for the glass table he had broken previously, and ended with him stapling his scrotum to his thigh.
Following the departure of Adam Carolla from Loveline, Steve-O periodically guest co-hosted in his place and was being considered, among many others, as a possible replacement. While guest co-hosting on May 23, 2006, Steve-O announced he had been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a serious cardiac condition which can be life threatening. Steve-O claimed his doctor told him he was dying and had “the heart of a 90 year old man” also adding without treatment he “wouldn’t live past 40.” On June 16, 2006, however, Steve-O announced his heart was perfectly fine on Radio Bam after visiting a heart specialist who said that his original doctor misread the results of a test.
On July 18, 2006, Steve-O became a late contestant on the British reality show Love Island broadcast on ITV from Fiji in an effort to boost ratings. Despite stating he has stopped drinking he asked for beer while on the show, on July 19, 2006 he abruptly left Love Island because he was not allowed the beer and chocolate which he requested.
Tom Green Live
On October 10, 2006, Steve-O appeared on Tom Green Live, an Internet talk-show hosted by comedian Tom Green, alongside guests Jukka Hildén and Carson Daly in which he discussed his hatred for current U.S. President George W. Bush and organized religion. Steve-O also spoke out about his feelings towards his clown college alma mater, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, for abusing the animals used in the circus. He took calls from viewers while repeatedly huffing medical-grade compressed nitrous oxide (commonly called “whippits”), smoking, drinking alcohol and eating hash brownies. The show ran for three times its normal length, ending with Steve-O collapsing on the floor after drinking a bottle of Italian salad dressing and vomiting violently.
The Dean Blundell Show
On March 27, 2006, Jackass co-stars Steve-O and Chris Pontius visited The Dean Blundell Show, a morning radio show on Toronto, to promote their “Don’t Try This At Home” tour. During the interview, Pontius and Steve-O said multiple expletives on the air. Steve-O also proceeded to urinate on the floor and perform a stunt called “Unwrapping the Mummy” all in front of a live studio audience. Hosts Dean Blundell, Jason Barr, and Todd Shapiro were suspended for the week following the appearance.
The Howard Stern Show
On February 5, 2008, Steve-O joined Howard Stern, Robin Quivers and Artie Lang on Sirius Satellite radio to promote his upcoming rap album Hard As a Rock. Steve-O, drunk, rapped a little and discussed his favorite drugs with the radio legend. His strange laugh, ripped from the broadcast, is still used by Fred Norris as a laugh track to this day.
- "Dr. Steve-O" …. Dr. Steve-O (4 episodes, 2007)
- "The O.C." …. First Marine (1 episode, 2006)
- TV: The Movie (2006)
- Blind Horizon (2003) (as Stephen Glover) …. Man with Hat in Final Scene
- "Totally Busted" (25 episodes, 2003)
- "Wildboyz" (1 episode, 2006)
- Steve-O: The Early Years (2004) (V) (creator)
- Camp Steve-O (2006) (TV) (executive producer)
- Don’t Try This at Home: The Steve-O Video (2001) (V) (executive producer)
- Steve-O: The Early Years (2004) (V)
- Don’t Try This at Home: The Tour (2002) (V) (as Steve Glover)
- Jackass 3 (2009) (in production) …. Himself
- The Buried Life (2009) (post-production) …. Himself
- "Dancing with the Stars" …. Himself (1 episode, 2009)
- "Howard Stern on Demand" …. Himself (4 episodes, 2006-2008)
- Jackass World 24 Hour Takeover (2008) (TV) …. Himself
- "Last Call with Carson Daly" …. Himself (1 episode, 2008)
- Jackass 2.5 (2007) (V) …. Himself
- "WWF Raw Is War" …. Himself (4 episodes, 2006-2007)
- Jackass the Game (2007) (VG) (voice) …. Himself
- "LA Ink" …. Himself (1 episode, 2007)
- "24 Hours With…" …. Himself (1 episode, 2007)
- WWE Draft Special (2007) (TV) …. Himself
- "Nick Cannon Presents: Wild ‘N Out" …. Himself (1 episode, 2007)
- "Bam’s Unholy Union" …. Himself (1 episode, 2007)
- "Crank Yankers" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2007)
- The Making of ‘Jackass Number Two’ (2006) (V) …. Himself
- Arby’s Action Sports Awards (2006) (TV) …. Himself – Host
- "KTLA Morning News" …. Himself (1 episode, 2006)
- "Reality Remix" …. Himself (1 episode, 2006)
- "Tom Green Live!" …. Himself (1 episode, 2006)
- Jackass Number Two (2006) …. Himself
- Ultimate Predator (2006) (V) …. Himself
- MTV Video Music Awards 2006 (2006) (TV) …. Himself – Presenter
- "Celebrity Love Island" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2006)
- Tattoo Fixation (2006) (TV) …. Himself
- The Dudesons Movie (2006) …. Himself
- 100 Greatest Funny Moments (2006) (TV) (also archive footage) …. Himself
- "Wildboyz" …. Himself (32 episodes, 2003-2006)
- "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" …. Himself (5 episodes, 2004-2006)
- Camp Steve-O (2006) (TV) …. Himself
- Jackass: Gumball 3000 Rally Special (2005) (TV) …. Himself
- "America’s Next Top Model" …. Himself (1 episode, 2005)
- "Too Late with Adam Carolla" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2005)
- "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2005)
- Jackass Presents: Murderball (2005) (TV) …. Himself
- "Inked" …. Himself (1 episode)
- "Totally Busted" …. Himself (1 episode, 2005)
- "Howard Stern" …. Himself (12 episodes, 2002-2005)
- "McEnroe" …. Himself (1 episode, 2004)
- Steve-O: The Early Years (2004) (V) …. Himself
- 52 Most Irresistible Women (2004) (TV) …. Himself
- ESPN NFL 2K5 (2004) (VG) …. Himself
- Jackass: Volume Two (2004) (V)
- Underground 2 (2004) (VG) (voice) (as Steve ‘Steve-O’ Glover) …. Himself
- Spike TV VGA Video Game Awards (2003) (TV) …. Himself
- "High Chaparall" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2003)
- "RI:SE" …. Himself (1 episode, 2003)
- Steve-O: Out on Bail (2003) (V) …. Himself
- MTV Europe Music Awards 2003 (2003) (TV) …. Himself
- "Extreme duudsonit" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2003)
- "The New Tom Green Show" …. Himself (1 episode, 2003)
- "Tout le monde en parle" …. Himself (1 episode, 2003)
- 2003 MTV Movie Awards (2003) (TV) …. Himself
- The New Face of Late Night TV (2003) (TV) …. Himself
- "MADtv" …. Himself (2 episodes, 2002-2003)
- Stupidity (2003) …. Himself
- Don’t Try This at Home: The Tour (2002) (V) …. Himself
- "Cribs" …. Himself (1 episode, 2002)
- Jackass: The Movie (2002) …. Steve-O
- Making of ‘Jackass: The Movie’ (2002) (TV) …. Himself
- MTV Video Music Awards 2002 (2002) (TV) …. Himself – Presenter
- 2002 MTV Movie Awards (2002) (TV) …. Himself
- "Jackass" …. Himself (20 episodes, 2000-2002)
- Don’t Try This at Home: The Steve-O Video (2001) (V) …. Himself
- Boob (1999) (V) …. Himself