Today is one-hit wonder day around the b5Media channel. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I’m featuring these “wonders” because women feature prominently in each one, they’re not in any particular order. Some are good and some are really, really bad (like #7). I hope you enjoy the list.
1. The Divinyls: “I Touch Myself “- Oh what a scandal this song caused when it first came out. Yeah I bought the CD. Still listen to it sometimes too.
2. Dee-Light: “Groove is in the Heart” – Hated this song. Still do. How do you say de-annoying?
3. 4 Non Blondes – “What’s Up?” I liked this song a lot -the first 5,000 times they played it. After that it got kinda old.
4. Shocking Blue: “Venus” I thought song kicked ass back in the day. It’s much better than the lame Bananarama version.
5. Minnie Ripperton: “Lovin’ You” – A vomit inducing mix of birdsong and high notes.
6. Toni Basil – “Mickey” – This song still gives me nightmares.
7. l’Trimm: “Cars That Go Boom” – Bad doesn’t even begin to describe it. If these girls have talent, it’s not because they can sing.
8. Vicki Lawrence: “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” – A surprising and accidental but HUGE hit for Vicki Lawrence. I don’t love it or hate it, but after I hear it, it’s in my head for a while.
9. Lipps, Inc. “Funkytown”. Admit it. You like it too!
10. Lulu – “To Sir With Love”. Still a favorite of mine.