I told you yesterday about Dennis Quaid’s twins getting an overdose of Heparin; here’s the latest news:
The hospital apologized Tuesday to the families of three patients involved, but said it could not release the names because of confidentiality laws. It said tests indicated that there were no adverse effects on the patients.
In a statement, Quaid’s publicist, Cara Tripicchio, said, “Dennis and Kimberly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers and hope they can maintain their privacy during this difficult time.”
Suanne Buggy, a state Department of Public Health spokeswoman, said the agency is investigating reports of an incident involving newborn twins at the hospital. She did not elaborate.
Cedars-Sinai’s chief medical officer, Michael L. Langberg, said in a statement that on Sunday three patients each received vials containing 10,000 units per milliliter of heparin instead of vials with a concentration of 10 units per milliliter.
Once the hospital staff realized the “preventable error,” they did tests to measure the patients’ blood clotting function, Langberg said Tuesday. One patient’s test was normal, but two patients required a drug that reverses the effects of heparin, he said.
Further tests on the two “indicated no adverse effects from the higher concentration of heparin,” Langberg said. “Doctors continue to monitor the patients.”
“I want to extend my deepest apologies to the families who were affected by this situation,” Langberg said.
Can you even imagine?!?!? How in the WORLD can you make such a mistake? Every nurse I’ve ever run into has told me that in the NICU, you are required to check doses not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES because of the potential impact on such small babies. Whoever did this should be fired and never allowed to work with the public again.